Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Windows: Local Security Workaround

From: nine () 14X NET (nine)
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 10:01:24 -0400

I completely agree that this thread should die [forgive the violence].
However I just wanted to put my few words in here... If anyone else has
already made such comments, please forgive me as I do not read through the
hundreds of mails I get a day...

Rather than making malformed boot disks that bypass certain BIOS, or
pressing Ctrl+Shit+Alt+Tab+F53+End [exaggeration], I believe the most
simple and effective way for a local security workaround is to get to know
the person that administers the box. If you can find certain things about
his past, you might just simple get the password to access the BIOS, or
administer the Novell network.

On the other hand, it is MUCH easier to tell someone you have a problem
booting, or logging on to the computer, etc... Have a tech come over and
help you and watch his keystrokes. There are so many ways for local
security workarounds, but it just seems to me that social engineering is
the most fun.

Erik Tayler
14x Network Security