Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Disturbing IE behaviour in regards to security.

From: mrousseau () SECURED ORG (Maxime Rousseau)
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 15:13:28 -0400

Greetings All,

I have been observing very strange happenings with internet explorer
recently. I am wondering (hoping) if i did not broke something because this
should not happen. Here is what i have:

1- It seems that www.msn.com is a 'trusted zone', however, i NEVER did put
msn.com in my trusted zones list. Its still not in my list and when i view
the site, my status bar indicates that it is a trusted site. This is very
much a problem because if you ask me, the last site i would trust is msn.
heh.

2- When i go to the windowsupdate web site it seems that the site somehow
modifies my IE settings and preferences. Precicely, in the Advanced tab from
the internet option, there is a setting called 'Disable script debugging'. I
like this enabled so i dont get asked to debug everyone else's page.
However, when i go on windowsupdate, the script debugging enables! This
makes me wonder about other stuff the page might be 'tweaking'.

I am using IE 5.00.2920.0000 with 128bits cipher strenght on Windows 2000
Pro.

Anyone else can confirm/infirm this?

Cheers

M.