tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Two DLT Requests For Bluetooth RF Captures

From: Chris Kilgour <techie () whiterocker com>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 19:14:29 -0800

The current versions of

      http://www.whiterocker.com/bt/LINKTYPE_BLUETOOTH_BREDR_BB.html

and

      http://www.whiterocker.com/bt/LINKTYPE_BLUETOOTH_LE_LL_WITH_PHDR.html

say "All multi-octet fields are expressed in little-endian format."  I presume that means that's now the
specification, so libpcap doesn't need to byte-swap anything, and programs dissecting those packets should extract
the values as if they're little-endian.

Yes, I didn't want to break new ground with the former host-endian definition, given your earlier statement.  Since BT
itself is little-endian oriented, and the majority of BT-sniffer users are likely Intel-based, little-endian seems the
way to go.

And by the way, thanks for the quick turnaround on the DLT allocations.

Chris Kilgour