tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: New datasource implementation

From: Akos Vandra <axos88 () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2011 16:58:03 +0200

Hi!

Yes, I have thought about it, but when I started writing the pcap
driver, I didn't know about socketcan, and this user-space driver was
already mostly ready (had to be ported a wee bit from c++), as I have
used an own program to display the can frames before.

Problem is, I'm not sure I have the courage to start kernel driver
development :) and I had a hard time finding information on how a
socketcan driver should behave on the net with a few google searches.

Another approach would be to rewrite the interface on the
microcontroller itself, but again I have no idea what requests and
quite a hard time with the USB peripheral, because it is only scarcely
documented in the user manual.

So for now I think I'll stick with the libusb-based driver, and maybe
add more or less native support for socketcan later on. Also I'm not
sure if m$ windows supports socketcan?

Regards,
  Ákos