tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Fwd: New datasource implementation

From: Michael Richardson <mcr () sandelman ca>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2011 20:10:46 -0500

"Akos" == Akos Vandra <axos88 () gmail com> writes:
    Akos> When building wireshark based on the new libpcap with my
    Akos> module using libusb-1.0, it didn't build, because it was
    Akos> missing symbols (naturally, as wireshark didn't know it has to
    Akos> link libusb-1.0 as well). So insted of digging into where I
    Akos> have to add them, it seemed simpler to write a script.  Also
    Akos> it seems unnatural that only for my project wireshark, and any
    Akos> other project using libpcap must use libusb-1.0...

A shared libpcap that was linked correctly would indicate it's
dependancy on that library and it would get loaded.  If the library
didn't exist, then there would be a problem, but that dependancy would
also be built into rpm/dpkg/pkg_add/etc.

    Akos> I'm not quite sure I understand this. How would ./configure
    Akos> know that that the libusb_claim_interface is in the libusb-1.0
    Akos> library?  I'm sorry if I'm a bit slow here, I'm quite
    Akos> unfamiliar with autobuild and autoconf, should look into them
    Akos> soon.

Basically, that 90% of the point of autoconf.

http://www.edwardrosten.com/code/autoconf/
seems to be a reasonable cheat sheet.

--
] mcr () sandelman ottawa on ca http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/ |device driver[