tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Running TCPDUMP over a web interface

From: Nathan Jennings <nathanj567 () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2011 15:11:13 -0400

Hi Tek,

I actually wrote something like you're describing years ago for a 2nd-level support team so they could help
troubleshoot issues (kept me from getting calls :). It's a distributed sniffer of sorts; it sends tcpdump capture
filters to remote sniffers via ssh, which are then executed remotely and the captures are sent back to the web server
for display in the browser. The CGI app uses tshark to send the summary line (text) to the browser. It does some basic
syntax highlighting in html based on the protocol.

Someone else might as well use it, so send me an email if you think you'd like to try it. It's running on Linux via
Apache via CGI.

I always thought I should have started a project for it via SourceForge or something.

-Nathan-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.