tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Running TCPDUMP over a web interface

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2011 15:59:30 -0700

On Aug 14, 2011, at 6:51 AM, Tek Bahadur Limbu wrote:

I need to run TCPDUMP on a Linux bridge with multiple network interfaces.
However, instead of using a shell, I need to run it over a web interface.

Tcpdump can do a number of things - it can capture traffic and dissect and print it, or it can capture it and save it
into a pcap file for later analysis with tcpdump or other tools.

Which of those do you want to do?  Run it over a Web interface and watch the display update with a display of dissected
packets, run it over a Web interface writing to a pcap file and, after you stop the capture, download the pcap file, or
both?  (The second of those would probably be easier to do than the first of those.)-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.