tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Request for a DLT code for IPMB packet

From: "Toeung, Chanthy" <chanthy.toeung () ca kontron com>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 14:45:42 -0400

So presumably the first byte of the packet data will be the slave
address, followed by the netFn and LUN, followed by the checksum, etc.?
yes. It is correct.

Capture type, or DLT_ type?
I need DLT_ type. I already develop the code for the package by using the DLT_USR14 for this packet.
Actually, i know that pcap*.c doesn't support I2C. So i have also build a "Capture engine" to catch raw data from I2C,
then save it in a file under  hexdump format.
After that i will use text2pcap to transfrom this file into pcap file format, then it can be open with Wireshark.

So now i want to put the dissector/plugins IPMB that i have develop into open source. That is the reason why i need a
DLT_ value for this protocol.

See, for example, the Linux Bluetooth and USB capture devices for
examples.  Unfortunately, there's no "how to add a new type of capture
device" documentation - and the interface for that will probably change
at some point.
where can i find the example of USB capture devices ?