tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: libpcap 0.9.4 on HP-UX: "Device busy"

From: Rick Jones <rick.jones2 () hp com>
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2006 09:39:45 -0700

Harley Stenzel wrote:
On 6/8/06, Justin E <supramacy () gmail com> wrote:

Hello,

I've been trying to get libpcap 0.9.4 to work on several HP-UX boxes,
and am unfortunately having some trouble when I try to open an
interface using pcap_open_live. The error I receive is:

recv_ack: promisc_phys: UNIX error - Device busy

It sounds like some other process has the device open.  On HP-UX,
unlike Linux and (iirc) Solaris, only one process may have an
interface open at a time.

It would be more accurate to say that it allows only one promiscuous mode stream per interface.

rick jones
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.