tcpdump mailing list archives

libpcap 0.9.4 on HP-UX: "Device busy"

From: "Justin E" <supramacy () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 15:35:15 +0800

Hello,

I've been trying to get libpcap 0.9.4 to work on several HP-UX boxes,
and am unfortunately having some trouble when I try to open an
interface using pcap_open_live. The error I receive is:

recv_ack: promisc_phys: UNIX error - Device busy

This occurs when pcap_open_live() calls dlokack(), which in turn calls
recv_ack().
I have now received this error on two HP-UX boxes - one running
version 11.00 and the other running 11.23. A third box, running 11.11,
receives a similar error: "recv_ack: promisc_phys: UNIX error -
Invalid argument". I've had no problems using libpcap on Linux,
Solaris, or AIX. Furthermore, we've used earlier versions of libpcap
(0.5.something, I believe) and haven't encountered any problems.

Having searched this mailing list and the Ethereal mailing list (and
google in general), it seems I'm not the first to receive the error,
but I haven't found any solution to make it go away. (Apparently HP-UX
does not allow an interface to be opened twice, but nothing else has
opened the interface. In fact, I downloaded lsof for the 11.23 box and
it reports that nothing has opened lan0.)

I'd appreciate any advice anyone can offer.

Thanks,
Justin
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.