tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Linux Frame-Relay and misc

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 02:42:32 -0700

On Tue, Oct 07, 2003 at 12:21:24AM +0200, Krzysztof Halasa wrote:
So are Q.933a and ANSI LMI the same thing, or is one an extension of the
other, or are the two different such that, to correctly dissect a frame,
you have to look at, for example, the DLCI?

No, they aren't the same thing. You can tell if it's ANSI by looking
for ANSI locking shift byte, 0x95. It should be just after "call
reference" and "message type" byte fields.

They are quite similar, though - in addition to lock shift byte, ANSI
uses 0x1, 0x3 and 0x7 report types while Q.933a uses 0x51, 0x53 and 0x57
for respectively status, link integrity verification and PVC status.
There might be other differences, but I'm not aware of any.

Both ANSI (ANSI T1.617 annex D) and ITU-T/CCITT (ITU-T Q.933 annex A)
use the same DLCI 0 for LMI. Cisco (the original) LMI uses DLCI 1023.

I guess the question I really meant to ask was "are Q.933 and LMI the
same thing?"

I.e., should 0x08 be NLPID_LMI, or NLPID_Q933, or NLPID_Q933_LMI, as,
presumably, a packet beginning with 0x08 could be a Q.933 packet?

I assume it's intended to handle the Q.933 "single octet information
elements" such as Shift and Repeat indicator, although it doesn't
actually do any shifting....

Hmm...  Never heard of such elements.  I will investigate a little
further.

See table 4-2/Q.933 on page 16 of Recommendation Q.933 (10/95):

                                TABLE 4-2/Q.933
                        Information element identifier coding
        |                                                        Max length |
        | 8765 4321                                  Reference    (octets)  |
        |                                                         (Note 1)  |
        | 1::: ----    Single octet information elements:                   |
        |  000 ----    reserved                                             |
        |  001 ----    Shift (Note 2)                4.5.3       1          |
        |  101 ----    Repeat indicator              4.5.25      1          |
        | 0::: ::::    Variable length information elements:                |
        |  000 0000    Segmented message             4.5.26                 |

-
This is the TCPDUMP workers list. It is archived at
http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/index.html
To unsubscribe use mailto:tcpdump-workers-request () tcpdump org?body=unsubscribe