Snort mailing list archives

Re: Can't alert on most

From: waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net>
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2014 18:38:12 -0500

On 3/4/2014 2:36 PM, Michael Wisniewski wrote:
Thanks for the response.  I might try another version of Snort to see if this
fixes the problem.

doubtful since 2.9.6.0 is the latest version ;)

the real question is if snort is seeing all the traffic AND if your HOME_NET and
EXTERNAL_NET are set correctly for your network... [reading on] looking at your
snort.conf, it would appear that they are "ok"...

then the question is where did the pcap from and was it recorded with the same
IPs as your settings...

My concern is that since it's my first and new install of
Snort and it's in a virtual environment, something strange is going on with the
packets because 99% of the time, it's something I'm doing wrong and it's not the
product thats the problem.

VMs bring a whole other aspect which can cause problems in a lot of
situations... we see them with the firewall i support when folks set up their
VMs and share one physical NIC for all their interfaces... in this case, it is
possible that there is a backdoor path that allows traffic to go around the
firewall instead of through it... trying to explain this to folks can be
troublesome but when they finally set it up on real iron, they can see things
working like they should... that's generally when the bulb lights and they see
the errors in the light ;)

I ended up taking a tcpdump on the interface from the box I have snort running
on and then completing a nikto scan from an outside IP.  Snort didn't identify
much....  Basically, the following was found:

stream5: Data sent on stream after TCP Reset
http_inspect: NO CONTENT-LENGTH OR TRANSFER-ENCODING IN HTTP RESPONSE
http_inspect: MESSAGE WITH INVALID CONTENT-LENGTH OR CHUNK SIZE
http_inspect: NO CONTENT-LENGTH OR TRANSFER-ENCODING IN HTTP RESPONSE
http_inspect: MESSAGE WITH INVALID CONTENT-LENGTH OR CHUNK SIZE
http_inspect: UNKNOWN METHOD
Snort Alert [119:33:1]
http_inspect: LONG HEADER

I even read the pcap into snort and found the same alerts.

that's to be expected since snort sees the same things that tcpdump has
recorded... again, though, there's something in the settings or in the compile
that isn't what probably should be...

now that i've mentioned the compile, did you compile this snort yourself? what
OS are you running it on? what parameters did you use when you compiled it if
you did?

I then discovered that virustotal has a handy little addition that you can
upload the pcap and it will do Snort analysis on the file and show you the
alerts.  When I uploaded the pcap to virus total, it lit up as expected with the
nikto scan.  Just a small sampling of the virustotal results from Snort...

[...]

I would expect that my local installation should flag on the above as well, but
it's not.

one would have to compare virustotal's snort.conf and the compile options used...

The tcp small segment sizes, I already "tuned" that so it's not an issue.

ok... i hope my previous was of assistance in that case...

My point was that Snort is actually seeing some stuff, but is missing almost
everything important.  I'll attach two files below; me reading the pcap in
snort and my snort.conf file.  If somebody can suggest anything, that would
be great.

a quick look showed nothing out of sorts but it was very quick... i may be able
to get some time later to study it further but i've been on 48 hour days for a
while (up from 36 hour days) and there's still not enough time to get everything
done ;) %) :lol:

anyway, hopefully someone else will also take a look and possibly find
something... you might want to take a look at virustotal's stuff again and see
if they offer a way of comparing the confs... i don't know as i've not used that
service of their's...