Snort mailing list archives

Re: Can't alert on most

From: waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net>
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2014 07:25:31 -0500

On 3/3/2014 9:48 PM, Michael Wisniewski wrote:
...and there's some other alerts, but the TCP small segments are the ones that
dominate the log.  I can do a nmap scan from offsite and all I see are the above
alert; nothing about a portscan.

Does anybody know why I'm seeing this?  In the conf file, I have pretty much all
stock (except for the paths).  Is there something else that needs to be enabled
in order to see the proper alerts?

it really isn't about seeing "the proper alerts"... the small segments alerts
are proper alerts... the question is how do you want to solve it... there are
several ways... one way is to disable the rule by commenting it out in the
preprocessor rules file... another way is to threshold the rule... but tuning
your snort.conf's stream5_tcp small_segments settings or removing the
small_segments settings portion of the config would probably be better... IMO,
the former is the preferred with the latter and others being (extreme) last
resort methods...