Snort mailing list archives

Re: trying this again (UNCLASSIFIED)

From: "Cass, Mark A CTR (US)" <mark.a.cass2.ctr () mail mil>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2012 16:42:53 +0000

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

Thank you for the reply.
Let me see if I got this straight...

I'll need to specify the -f option for barnyard2 and tell it the prefix naming convention of the files it needs to
input to log to mysql database?  The reason for the barnyard2 aborting was because the test rule did not have a
"rev:xxx" at the top of the text file?  So when I downloaded the new rules from pulled pork, and commented out the test
rule, should the rules downloaded from pulled pork not have had a revision with it already?  I'm going to have to go
into a thousand files and manually add "rev:(some number)" to them all in order for it to work?  That seems really
ridiculous.  And would I have to do this manually every time the rules are updated?

The last thing about the -G and -S options, I'm totally lost.  I'm just running it how the guide told me to, with those
options.  You're saying that at this point, the -G -S options are not allowing barnyard2 to write the data to mysql?

Thank you,

Mark A. Cass
Security+ CE, RHCSA, MCTS
Systems Administrator/Network Manager (SANM)
CGI Federal Contractor

700 McNair Ave.
Suite 107 (Knox Hall)
Fort Sill, Oklahoma 73503