Snort mailing list archives

trying this again (UNCLASSIFIED)

From: "Cass, Mark A CTR (US)" <mark.a.cass2.ctr () mail mil>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 15:27:50 +0000

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

Hello,

I've tried e-mailing the list before with not one response, but here it goes again:

I'm trying to implement a snort IDS with add-ons in a RHEL 6.3 x86 VMWare server.  I need to get snort, mysql,
barnyard2, snorby, and pulled pork all working together.  The problem, is that guides are either made for just
snort/mysql install, or for a different OS like Ubuntu, or for an old version of snort, or for other 3rd party
software, or are telling you some sort of db configuration schema script to run that doesn't exist where it says it
should (later finding out it came with barnyard2 instead of the snort package) so I've no help from any of the
so-called "setup" or "configuration" guides.  I've got snort, mysql, barnyard2 and pulled pork installed at the moment,
but nothing is working together.  Pulled pork has errors, but I believe the last I left it, was downloading rules,
snort doesn't output to barnyard2 or barnyard2 isn't writing to the mysql database, I have no idea.  I've never set up
an IDS before, never messed with the CPAN or perl stuff, and honestly was expecting some rpm files to install and an
hour or so on some of the configuration scripts.  I'm pulling my hair out over this right now, as my work time to
implement this doesn't allow the hours and hours and hours I apparently would need to spend scouring the internet's
furthest reaches for correct and proper information pertaining to the operating system used and all add-ons, however,
believe me, I've spent countless hours already trying to do just that.  I've kind of given up just a bit in the last
couple of weeks because I can't find any good useful information on this particular setup.

Has anyone ever set this up on a RHEL 6 installation with the additional utilities I've listed, and can help me?

Thank you,

Mark A. Cass
Security+ CE, RHCSA, MCTS
Systems Administrator/Network Manager (SANM)
CGI Federal Contractor

700 McNair Ave.
Suite 107 (Knox Hall)
Fort Sill, Oklahoma 73503
Ph.   580.442.0098
Fax   580.248.2188
mark.a.cass2.ctr () mail mil<mailto:mark.a.cass2.ctr () mail mil>