Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort 2.8.6.1 Now Available

From: waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 14:17:25 -0400

On 7/23/2010 09:17, Nigel Houghton wrote:
On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 09:00:22 -0400, Randal T. Rioux wrote:
We shouldn't have to write algorithms to download a tarball. A simple
redirect would do.

The moving target link is already a redirect. I agree, a known link
that is a redirect to the moving target would be useful, but I'm not
sure that's possible with the way the backend system is set up for
snort.org these days. I'll throw it out to the IT folks again though.

the problem is the link itself... to be more direct...

hxxp://www.snort.org/downloads/116

does that tell you the actual name of the file?? see? this is a problem for
those who need to download the snort sources so that snort can be built in for
their environment... this is especially important when one is building a
firewall environment and must keep possible attack areas as small as possible...

while the above link on the downloads page does not tell us the actual name of
the source code tarball, this link does and it does get redirected to that cloud
thingee ;)

hxxp://www.snort.org/ports/snort-current/snort-2.8.6.1.tar.gz

now if someone can figure out why sometimes it spews xml garbage in reply to the
http request instead of spitting out the binary tarball, i'm sure that many
would be grateful and their scripts would be simpler ;)

i understand that the above link also works via ftp but i've not tested that as
of yet... if it is true, then it will simplify and make things much better ;)

Also, for the record, if you see me top-post then I am most likely not
paying attention.

I figured you were borrowing Joel's iPadPhone :-)

He won't let anyone near that thing. It's a little creepy the way he
holds on to it.

:lol:

Also, nice if you cut the Sourceforge mailing list cruft from the
bottom of replies. Not totally required, but keeps threads a little
more readable.

Umm, I did, and always have.

Oh, yeah I know, just wanted to throw that in there when the "top post"
crew get involved along with the "who cares?" people.

Bottom post, cut the cruft.

yup! it is the natural way of the flow :)