Snort mailing list archives

Re: Simple Snort Rule Help

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 14:55:04 -0400

Pennell, Ronald B. wrote:

Help, Please

I'm trying to capture an alert for each email message that is going
outbound for my organization.

I've tried the following rule and my Snort Admin had it tagged to the
bad_unknown class.  When I check the ACID viewer it never gets logged.

Do I need to create a special class for this and try to separate it from
the bad_unknown class?  Can we setup special classes?

If so how I would do that?

Or, is the below statement not going to work?

Alert tcp $SMTP_NET any --> any 25 (msg:"outgoing SMTP";)

Well, that's a very simplistic approach. However, there's only 1 dash in ->.

Also, this assumes SMTP_NET is declared correctly.

Note however, this rule will alert for every packet, not every message.

You might want to add a flow, and a content rule. The content rule will
let you count messages, as each connection may have many messages in it.

alert tcp $SMTP_NET any -> any 25 (msg:"outgoing
SMTP";flow:to_server;content:"MAIL FROM";nocase;classtype:misc-activity;)

You can change the classtype to any of the classes in
etc/classification.config. If you need to create your own, use the
entries in classification.config as a template.