Snort mailing list archives

Issue with ClamAV preprocessor in snort-2.3.3

From: Jason Haar <Jason.Haar () trimble co nz>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 08:29:49 +1200

Hi there

I have just patched snort 2.3.3 with ClamAV-2.3.3-1.diff and it doesn't seem to work as advertised. I have the following preprocessor line

preprocessor clamav: ports all !20 !22 !443, toclientonly, dbdir /var/ftp/pub/tools/clamav-devel/share/clamav/, dbreload-time 43200, file-descriptor-mode

I strace'd snort while downloading EICAR.COM and the klez virus from a remote HTTP server - the strace shows the daily.* files being loaded - which tells me ClamAV is being enabled - but nothing got detected. I even ran tcpdump on the same interface and can see the HTTP download - so it's definitely not a wiring issue either.

I can see tonnes of /tmp/snort_inline-clamav-XXXXXX files being created, opened,closed and unlinked - but no virus was detected. The summary that is outputted when snort exits shows zero alerts - and nothing shows up via the syslog or mysql output processors I use.

Any ideas? Thanks!

--
Cheers

Jason Haar
Phone: +64 3 9635 377 Fax: +64 3 9635 417