Snort mailing list archives

Re: mysql and snort problem

From: Rob Baxter <rbaxter () xapiens net>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 01:08:24 -0400

Mysql changed the password hashing alogrithm starting with version 4.1. Your version of snort was likely built against an older version of the mysql client. There are several options to resolve the problem, the easiest is probably resetting the users password and using the OLD_PASSWORD function to force mysql to use an old (pre-4.1) style authentication hash. See the link below for more detail and other options...

http://www.devshed.com/c/a/MySQL/Troubleshooting-Problems-with-MySQL-Programs/2/

nadias () iastate edu wrote:

Hi there,

I am a new user and I am trying snort to log events to mysql database on windows platform. The snort version I am using is this: http://www.snort.org/dl/binaries/win32/snort- 2_3_0RC2.exe and the mysql version I have installed on my pc is following :mysql-essential-4.1.9-win32

I get following error: ERROR: database: mysql_error: Client does not support authentication protocol re
quested by server; consider upgrading MySQL client
Fatal Error, Quitting..

What is going on? What do I need to do to fix this? What version of mysql would be compatible with the above mentioned snort version?

Regards,
Nadia