Snort mailing list archives

Re: Request for advice

From: Sean Brown <sblinux () shaw ca>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 19:41:01 -0600

On June 29, 2004 05:09 pm, Nicholas Bernstein wrote:
On Tue, 2004-06-29 at 15:58, Sean Brown wrote:
On June 28, 2004 11:55 pm, Nicholas Bernstein wrote:
Hello all:
I've been asked to do a presentation on snort for a local users group
in Los Angeles; Nothing too in depth, just a basic tutorial on how to
get snort/acid/mysql setup. I was hoping that some of you might take a
look and tell me if there is anything I missed putting down, or if
there are any inaccuracies. I hope this is not too much to ask, but I
would appreciate it a lot if anyone was willing to give some advice.

It's located at:
http://nicholasbernstein.com/uuasc_snort/

Anyway, thanks in advance.
Nick

I looked through your presentation since I'm new to snort to see if there
was anything there I didn't know, and while it seems well put together
and does seem to be a good starting tutorial.

I can really only say one thing, and that is your assertion that there is
little reason to use packages provided by the distro/project and just
simply compile it yourself. The packages are there to provide a simple
way to upgrade, and keep track of all files required to run an
application. Eventually your going to need to upgrade Snort, and the
easiest way is by a package. If the system is just a test bed, then
building it yourself, by simply configure, make and make install isn't
much of a problem, but if the system is a 'production' machine, even if
its just a home firewall, the packages are a better solution. The only
time to favor making your own is if the package for a specific app lags
significantly behind the current release, in which case its better to
build a package and install that, instead of simply installing.

Just some thoughts.

-Sean

Sean:

Thanks for the input. The reason I chose to emphasize using source as
opposed to packages is that I did not want to favor one version of unix
over another. The group I am presenting to is the "Unix Users
Association of Southern California" and the people who are likely to be
attending this event may be using many different versions of unix. Also,
while I expect the majority of users to implement this on OpenBSD, or
Linux, I'm presenting @ Sun Microsystems... wouldn't want to offend the
hosts. :)
Well then you can highlight the absolute ease on creating Sun packages to be
distributed to a system that will act as a production sensor.
www.sunfreeware.com also has snort packages for download, illustrating the
need to build your own package considering while there is a package for Snort
2.1.0 for Solaris 9 SPARC, the Solaris 8 package is at version 1.8

-Sean Brown