Snort mailing list archives

RE: Looking for recommendations for distributed Snort GiGE Sensors (network architecture described in message)

From: "Tim" <tim () otten co uk>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 13:11:52 -0000

Although I am not an expert on snort at high speeds, I have read of several
problems with high speed situations. First of all I doubt very much that
using a 33MHz bus is a good idea. I would go for PCI-X 2.0+ or at least
PCI-X. Also you would need to run a custom version of Libpcap. And the
database server I believe would need to be scsi & raid configuration with
plenty of ram.  This Post may Help:

'I'm working to optimize Snort on a gigabit Ethernet connection. The system
is a dual 2.8ghz Xeon Dell PowerEdge with a gig of RAM, Phil Wood's Libpcap
8 library, running Snort 2.04. I've paired down the rule set eliminating
most irrelevant rules for this subnet. I am using a Cisco Catalyst 4000
series switch to mirror (SPAN) all traffic on the switch to the dedicated
promiscuous Intel e1000 adapter in the Snort system. The average traffic
utilization of the switch is under 15% but I'm still dropping up to 40% of
packets. I'm also using the unified log and alert output facilities and
mudpit to process the logs. Snort is not doing any other type of logging.

Today I also noticed that Snort is consuming 99.9% of one of the 2.8ghz
processors (I know Snort is not SMP capable yet). My question is: is that
unusual? I'm surprised it's pegging a 2.8ghz processor. Am I using CPU
intensive preprocessors? Any wisdom from fellow Snorters would be most
appreciated. I'm working to compile the latest Intel e1000 driver now to see
if that helps.'

Regards

Tim Otten