Snort mailing list archives

Looking for recommendations for distributed Snort GiGE Sensors (network architecture described in message)

From: Landon Stewart <lstewart () superb net>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2003 23:48:45 -0800

Any recommendations on hardware (for now) are greatly appreciated. Cost effectiveness is important so a minimum to do the job. I don't want to get into load balancing on multiple 100mbit links if possible as the iron is too costly.

- I've seen discussion about bus speeds and the maximum data that can be processed with those bus speeds. What is my minimum? Could I get away with 33MHz bus?
- What if I use fiber GiGE links?

Network description (hardware/throughput):

NOC 1:
        Router - CORE1   - Cisco 12008 GSR
                PIPE    1 Gbit/s
                AVG     140 Mbit/s
                PEAK    184 Mbit/s
        Router - CORE2   - Cisco 12008 GSR
                PIPE    1 Gbit/s
                AVG     102 Mbit/s
                PEAK    180 Mbit/s
Both routers distribute traffic to their own distribution switches (each one is a CAT5513)
Visualize this at: http://nsssc.superb.net/img/dca1-fall2003.gif

NOC 2:
        Router - CORE1 - Cisco 12012 GSR
                PIPE    1 Gbit/s
                AVG     110 Mbit/s
                PEAK    130 Mbit/s
        Router - CORE2   - Cisco 12012 GSR
                PIPE    1 Gbit/s
                AVG     200 Mbit/s
                PEAK    280 Mbit/s
Both routers distribute traffic to their own distribution switches (each one is a CAT4912G)
Visualize this at: http://nsssc.superb.net/img/dca2-fall2003.gif

- If you could look at the URL's listed to visualize the networks, where would the best place be to put mirrored sensors and what kind of hardware would I require? - What kind of requirements would I need for the centralized database system to store the alerts given the amount of IDS data that might be produced? Does it need SCSI or striped RAID? Could I get away with a good SCSI drive and some good RAM?
- Other than ACID what are the other *good* analysis consoles?

I had thought maybe EACH core router (or distribution switch) would require:
        1 x fast machine like a DUAL 2.4GHz with 1GB of RAM
        1 x GiGE interface (fiber?)

- Could I get away with one sensor for each NOC and each of those sensors would have two GiGE interfaces or would that be too much data to process? I doubt I could do two CORE routers on one machine but what do you think?

More complete network architecture information can be found at:
http://nsssc.superb.net/information/dca1net-info.php and
http://nsssc.superb.net/information/dca2net-info.php

Thank you to anyone who responds with any information!