Snort mailing list archives

RE: Snort with DHCP

From: Erek Adams <erek () snort org>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 18:21:44 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 2 May 2003, Sadanapalli, Pradeep Kumar (MED, TCS) wrote:

Thanks Erek for your nice explaination. So just to confirm ,if I add the
below lines

"var HOME_NET $eth0_ADDRESS" in snort.conf, along with other
configuration lines and

"/usr/local/bin/snort -i eth0 -l /var/log/snort/ -d -b -c
/etc/snort/snort.cond -D -p "

will meet my requirements that
"running snort to watch the network traffic destined only to my machine
and also taking care of the changing IP address
in DHCP scenario"

If I am wrong somewhere , please correct me.

Exactly.  You can also modify your command line to be a bit 'better'.  If
you are logging to binary (unified, pcap, or -b) then -d is a waste of
time.  No need since the packets are dumped as a whole.  You can also drop
the -p since it doesn't matter.  Only use the -p if you need to.  Since
you are a single node on a DHCP net, then promisc mode does not matter.
You'll still see broadcasts and ARP requests...

Cheers!

-----
Erek Adams