Snort mailing list archives

Snort with DHCP

From: "Sadanapalli, Pradeep Kumar (MED, TCS)" <Pradeep.Sadanapalli () med ge com>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 12:37:29 -0500

Hi everyone,
First of all, I thank one and all for all your help to me through your

I am running snort-1.9.1 on RedHat 8.0 . I am running snort on my
workstation as a personal
intrusion desktop system. I only bother about the traffic through my
system.
So in my "snort.conf" file, I edited the below line
"var HOME_NET 10.1.2.30/24" to
"var HOME_NET my-IP-address"

It works fine. But now I am not using a static IP. I am using DHCP for
this, so the IP keeps changing always.
So how should I modify the snort.conf file , that always sets to the IP
address of my system.

I mean , instead of mentioning my IPADRESS in "var HOME_NET IPADDRESS" ,
is there any other to configure it,(say a variable or so) that sets the
HOME_NET to my IP Address whatever it is?

Please help me.

Thanks in adnace...

Pradeep