Snort mailing list archives

Re: Promiscuous interface hacks?

From: Paul Schmehl <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Thu, 01 May 2003 17:42:15 -0500

Thanks Matt. What I'm trying to grasp is not whether or not the bo would work, but whether the attacker could then gain control of the box. I can see how the bo would work, because snort is going to process the packets regardless of what is in them.

But once the bo is exploited, even if a root shell is obtained, how does the attacker then "get to" that shell? Since there's no IP associated with it, I'm having trouble understanding how the attacker could then proceed to exploit the box.