Snort mailing list archives

RE: VPN and UDP alerts

From: SRH-Lists <giermo () 333tech com>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 09:41:28 -0500

I am still getting alerts from that vpn server on the
internet.  When I
emailed yesterday, the user had left, right when I applied
the rule.  This
morning its back.
This is what I have done

in snort.conf where DNS and mail variables are defined i added:
# External VPN Server
var VPN_NET 139.56.2.13

In local.rules i did the following:

pass udp $VPN_NET 500 <> 192.168.1.61 any

Unless that 192.168.1.61 address you have in this rule is just a
placeholder to obfuscate the real address, you will never see traffic
like this.  Unless the sensor is inside your firewall and the firewall
is natting for the vpn client.

Either way, try this:

pass udp $VPN_NET 500 <> any any

-steve