Snort mailing list archives

Promiscuous interface hacks?

From: Paul Schmehl <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Thu, 01 May 2003 09:47:25 -0500

I admit I'm ignorant of this (which is why I'm asking the question), but I think this is probably the best list that I'm aware of to ask this question.

Is anyone aware of any methods (or white papers describing methods) that describe ways that can be used to hack a box through a NIC that is in promiscuous mode? I'm curious because I'm wondering how serious the recent vulnerabilities in snort really are to a box that's set up in promiscuous mode.

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member