Snort mailing list archives

RE: Snort Logging on Linux but NOT to MYSQL on windows

From: "L. Christopher Luther" <CLuther () Xybernaut com>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 13:45:04 -0500

Did you just restart this MySQL instance?  From the status information you
sent (e.g., Uptime), it appears that this MySQL instance was just started.

What we need to see is the MySQL status information *after* Snort has been
running a while, and actively logging alerts to the /var/log/snort/alerts
file.  Since you are using both the alert and log facilities in Snort, every
alert generated to the /var/log/snort/alert file should also generate an
entry in the MySQL database.  Let Snort run a day or so, then send us the
MySQL status information.

Also, you should be able to connect locally to your MySQL server as 'root',
use 'show full processlist\G' command, and see an active connection for your
Snort sensor.  My process list looks like:

     Id: 64
   User: snort
   Host: winnt4sensor.mydomain.com
     db: snort
Command: Sleep
   Time: 7824
  State:
   Info: NULL
*************************** 2. row ***************************
     Id: 71
   User: snort
   Host: win2ksensor.mydomain.com
     db: snort
Command: Sleep
   Time: 163312
  State:
   Info: NULL

As you can see, my two Snort sensors are actively connected to the MySQL
'snort' database as the 'snort' user.  You should see something similar.

I kinda wish you were "next door" so that I could get a hands on, but I
don't suppose that you're in the northern Virginia, USA, area are you?

- Christopher