Snort mailing list archives

Re: Weird packets solved in 2.0

From: Kevin Peuhkurinen <kevin.peuhkurinen () hepcoe com>
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2003 16:19:13 -0500

Oh, I agree entirely. I've only tried out 2.0 to see if it fixed the problem, but I have no intention of running 2.0 in production for a good while yet.

It would be nice if the problem could be corrected in 1.9 as well, but I can live with the erroneous alerts until 2.0 is pronounced stable.

Frank Knobbe wrote:

Kevin,

while I appreciate the effort to get Snort 2.0 to be a rock solid
version, I do prefer to stick with stable, or production, versions of
Snort. Snort 2.0 is still labeled development, and I can't afford to run
development which may contain bugs in production environments. I would
rather see 1.9 getting correct, which Chris said has been taken care of
concerning this particular issue.

I think the distinction between stable and development is pretty blurry
at the moment due to more effort being put into 2.0 than 1.9. I hope
that Snort will eventually return to a clear separation between
development and stable as it has been. Maybe I'm just too chicken, I
don't know... :)

Cheers,
Frank