Snort mailing list archives

Re: Weird packets solved in 2.0

From: Frank Knobbe <fknobbe () knobbeits com>
Date: 03 Feb 2003 15:07:23 -0600

On Mon, 2003-02-03 at 13:11, Kevin Peuhkurinen wrote:
Well, I just saw Erek Adam's post about trying out the 2.0 version from
CVS.   When I use this version, the erroneous alert "P2P Gnutella Get"
is not generated on my capture file.   So, I guess the problem is fixed
in 2.0

Kevin,

while I appreciate the effort to get Snort 2.0 to be a rock solid
version, I do prefer to stick with stable, or production, versions of
Snort. Snort 2.0 is still labeled development, and I can't afford to run
development which may contain bugs in production environments. I would
rather see 1.9 getting correct, which Chris said has been taken care of
concerning this particular issue.

I think the distinction between stable and development is pretty blurry
at the moment due to more effort being put into 2.0 than 1.9. I hope
that Snort will eventually return to a clear separation between
development and stable as it has been. Maybe I'm just too chicken, I
don't know... :)

Cheers,
Frank