Snort mailing list archives

FW: eth0 without ip ..

From: "Slighter, Tim" <tslighter () itc nrcs usda gov>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 13:42:08 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: Slighter, Tim
Sent: Monday, February 03, 2003 1:39 PM
To: 'Bennett Todd'
Subject: RE: [Snort-users] eth0 without ip ..

MAC is layer 2 and does not require an IP.  Chances are highly unlikely but
if a hacker was very determined, they could run an arp discovery tool to
pinpoint your IDS and use that information as an attack pivot...or worse yet
use that MAC to spoof packets.  disabling arp with -arp simply cuts down on
any extraneous potential points of ingress for the very determined deviants.
If your stealth interface is hooked up onto a cisco switch on a mirrored
port, CDP will generate a lot of excess traffic on your stealth interface
and thereby impacting the performance of snort...when it should be ONLY
analyzing intrusion-based traffic, snort now has the additional load of
dealing with CDP or Vlan broadcasts.

does that make better sense?