Snort mailing list archives

Re: snort setup

From: "Scot Scot" <scotw () hotmail com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 18:37:42 -0500

Might look something like this:

                                             DMZ

                                             |TAP|-------Snort

Cisco Router ----| TAP|-----Firewall------|TAP|------------Switch
                                |                                     |
                            Snort                              Snort

You can then correlate your intrusion traffic between sensors. I would not
recommend using the mirroring port on a Switch, it can be very processor
intensive and you may not detect all fragmented packets.

Scot

<snip>
where would you put the DMZ and firewall?

TAP|-----------------HUB------------------Switch
SS>                               Snort Sensor

SS> Here's one company (of many) off the top of my head:

SS> www.netoptics.com

SS> Scot

I would recommend instead that you put a decent hub in rather than put
the
snort box inline.  What happens when you have to reboot the snort
server
box?  You (& your users & your web visitors) will lose the internet
connection.

So go with:

                              Snort Sensor