Snort mailing list archives

Re: snort setup

From: Demetri Mouratis <dmourati () cm math uiuc edu>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 10:51:42 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 12 Jul 2002, Alwin Raymundo wrote:

Hi all,

Here is my another naive question.  I want to put my
snort box in front of my switch because my swith is
not capable of port mirroring.

internet -> cisco router -> snort box -> switch ->
servers

My future setup on snort box (redhat 7.3, snort -mysql
and 2 nic cards).

here now the question about the 2 nic what should I
used ip address to these 2 nic cards, should it be 2
public ip address? or 1 public IP address and 1
network address.

any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, brother in snort.

Totally up to you and how you want to handle your routing.  Just make sure
the packets reach the snort box.

You could also achieve the same result by placing a hub between the Cisco
and the switch, and hanging snort off the hub.  That way, you could leave
all the IPs on your router and switch the same.  Read the FAQ regarding
taps, configuring snort without an IP, etc.

Good luck.