Snort mailing list archives

Upgrading and 1.8.1 version not reading current rules

From: chae <chae () hyper net nz>
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2002 16:31:18 +1200

Hi Yah,

I have a Cobalt server with an old version of snort on it 1.8.1-i386 (based on Redhat 6.2)

I'm wanting to put on the latest version of Snort and wanted to know the following...

Is Snort 1.8.7 compatible with the old version of Redhat/Cobalt OS?
If so can I simply install the latest version over the top of the existing one?

The 1.8.1 version was running okay until I downloaded the latest set of rules, uploaded as normal and now it's only reporting on ICMP and Virus rules nothing else, just wondered if anything has changed lately to cause this and if upgrading to latest version will alleviate it.

Regards

Chae