Snort mailing list archives

Re: (no subject)

From: Erek Adams <erek () theadamsfamily net>
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 18:51:16 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 3 Apr 2002, Chris Eidem wrote:

I've got a script that I use to roll over my snort logs that runs a kill
-USR1 to get stats off of the interface before I kill it and start it
again.  It works as advertised (sorta).  The problem I have is that I'll
get something like this on once in a while:

[...snip...]

Now, I run the kill -USR1 just before I run a kill on the process.  Is
this something that would be cured with a sleep between the calls, or is
this caused by something else.  I don't get a whole lot of syslogging
going on, so I don't believe that the syslogd is overwhelmed (perhaps
it's just whelmed...)

Ok, perhaps I'm just braindead, but what's _wrong_ with the output?  A USR1
causes it to dump stats to syslog by default....

I've got a strange feeling I'm missing something here....  :-)

-----
Erek Adams
Nifty-Type-Guy
TheAdamsFamily.Net