Snort mailing list archives

RE: not detecting common intrusion

From: Cearns Angela <acearns () yahoo com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 11:52:20 -0700 (PDT)

Yes, Steve:

I'd love to look into your idea, could you please
forward me the patches?

Thanks,
Ang
--- Steve Halligan <giermo () geeksquad com> wrote:

You can't use a rule, since there's not a "X
packets over Y
time" logic built
into the rule parser.  You'd have to have some sort
of
preprocessor similar to
the portscan preprocessor to do that.

A while back I wrote up a patch to create a new
ruletype I called a Trigger
rule that did exactly this.  The alert would fire if
and only if the
signature got matched X times in Y seconds.  Perhaps
someone would be
interested in re-visiting this idea?  I submitted
two versions of the patch,
one based on the 1.8.x codebase and one on the
1.9/2.0 codebase.  They are
probably both out-of-date currently, and would need
some tweaking to get
them to work, which I do not currently have time to
do.

If there is any interest in this, I would be happy
to forward the old
patches.  They can also found in the snort-devel
archive.

-Steve