Snort mailing list archives

Re: False positives with SMTP RCPT TO overflow rule

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 15:10:23 -0400

Well, no known exploit for executing code exists, but a DoS attack can be achieved easily with this vulnerability. However, there's no particular data necessary to cause the DOS, only an exceptionally large amount of it. Hence the difficulty in creating a reasonable snort signature.

Ideally the signature would trigger on RCPT TO: followed by more than 512 bytes before a newline, and would account for the data being sent in multiple TCP segments.

However, snort doesn't have any "length of string till newline" type functionality. It has string matching ability, and segment size matching ability, and those are used to approximate a reasonable rule. In fact, if your SMTP server doesn't support pipelining, it's a pretty good rule, which is probably why it was written the way it was.

Unfortunately most reasonable implementations of SMTP with ESMTP support pipelining, and most listservs take advantage of it. Yes there's a lot of "kludged to support internet mail" groupware servers out there that don't support pipelining, but I don't call kludges reasonable implementations :)

My stand is that anyone foolish enough to run a really old version of lotus notes as a directly exposed-to-the-internet mailserver isn't likely to be clueful enough to be running snort. The rule is false-positive prone, false negative prone, and just generally silly. Every time I update my rules this is one of the first things I kill in the ruleset, right after most of the ping rules that don't bother me, and upping the size for the large UDP packet one that gets set off by some weird IP stacks (AIX?) sense of MTU probing.

I noticed in the archived Bugtraq description of the vulnerability
that no known exploit exists.  Does that make it difficult/impossible
to create a signature specific to this vulnerability?

Speaking of general-purpose snort deployments, are there any
documented recommendations for which rules/rulesets ought to be
included?  Or is it just a given that one should be reviewing each
and every rule for applicability to one's own situation?  I looked
through the Snort docs, but they seem to be more tailored to rule
creation.  If I didn't RTFM carefully enough, please let me know.

----
Nels Lindquist <*>
Information Systems Manager
Morningstar Air Express Inc.