Snort mailing list archives

RE: re: 1. Network World IDS report (Jason Haar)

From: "Hicks, John" <JHicks () JUSTICE GC CA>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 14:23:04 -0400

<2 cents>
I'd never read that magazine before, and after this article, I never will
again. How many 'network professionals' wouldn't tune a sensor on deployment
and would even consider placing a vanilla system live on the Net and waiting
for complaints???

One of the key goals of any 'honeypot' deployment is the control of activity
and the acceptance of responsibility for allowing an attacker to use it as a
launching pad.

WRT Snort itself ... on my Government IIS Web site, I have never had snort
hang, crash, or even report dropped packets. The only problem I have
experienced with a running sensor to date are some database errors citing
duplicate entries, but since snort logs activity locally, I find this a
minimal threat since the base IDS itself is still functioning.

Even the sensors on my development LAN keep up with my constant whiskers,
nmaps and other pen-testing. Should I ignore myself, maybe, but my point is
those sensors have *never* crashed or hung. My Dev Lan doesn't even have a
dedicated sensor, that same 'node' also does host monitoring and off-line
log analysis.

Does snort take some expertise??? Of course. Would I trade it for a
commercial system to placate my managers and limit my functionality and
flexibility? NEVER!  I've used a total of 3 commercial IDS systems and
wouldn't trade Snort for the world.

IMHO this article is a complete joke.
</2 cents>

Regards,