Snort mailing list archives

Re: No alerts

From: Bill McCarty <bmccarty () apu edu>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 14:39:44 -0800

Hi Erek,

Sorry to be unclear. By alerts, I meant the one-line messages typically sent to snort_fast and the longer messages typically sent to snort_full and analyzed by SnortSnarf.

Thanks for the suggested optimization; that is, logging in only a single format. But, if I log only to binary, how do I get near-real-time alerts?

In any case, this particular box has CPU power to burn. So, generating logs and alerts is a convenience that doesn't seem to be costing me anything.

Using strace sounded like fun. But, I ended up with a b'zillion line trace file. To help find the needle, I decided to compare straces for 1.8.3 and 1.8.4. But I realized that 1.8.4 was compiled for debugging, but 1.8.3 was not. So, I recompiled 1.8.4 without debugging. Then, I ran strace on each version.

Before I analyzed the trace, I discovered that 1.8.4 was properly logging alerts. My guess is that the problem is related to the way I worked about the compilation problem about which I earlier posted. Most recently, I tweaked config.h rather than /usr/include/sys/types.h. Another possibility is that the failure to create alerts only occurs in debug mode.

I'm kinda tired and way behind on the day's other tasks. So, I'm gonna leave well enough alone, unless someone pipes up with further data or problems. In that case, I'm willing to use my setup as a test bench.

Thanks and Cheers,