Snort mailing list archives

Re: No alerts

From: Bill McCarty <bmccarty () apu edu>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 16:49:33 -0800

Hi Brian,

Well, I have as much trouble recalling what I read as I do understanding it in the first place <grin>. And, day by day, I seem to be worse at each.

But, my configuration seems to be sanctioned. From the users manual:

Multiple output plugins may be specified in the Snort configuration file.
When multiple plugins of the same type (log, alert) are specified, they
are "stacked" and called in sequence when an event occurs. As with the
standard logging and alerting systems, output plugins send their data to
/var/log/snort by default or to a user directed directory (using the "-l"
command line switch).

So, am I one of a few rare birds actually stacking multiple output plugins? My guess is not, but it's merely a guess. I do see that the Honeynet folks use, or used, a similar configuration. In fact, I think I based mine on theirs. See <http://project.honeynet.org/papers/honeynet/snort.conf>.

In any case, my question stands: Is there a convenient way to obtain near real-time alert reporting when logging only to a binary file? Otherwise, there's a strong reason for WANTING to stack multiple output plugins. Though it's certainly possible that doing so may increase the frequency or serverity of snort problems, despite evidence that doing so should work okay. I dunno.

Cheers,