Snort mailing list archives

RE: Snort dies after a few days.

From: "Kjetil Laasby" <Kjetil () laasby com>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 23:24:59 +0100

Hi Shane

This is a "bug" in the libpcap RPM that comes with RH 7.2.  I reported

this issue to RH last week as I was having the same problem with
tcpdump.

On my RH7.2. I've recieved pcap_loop_error in dmesg and the whole
network went down..
----
snort: pcap_loop: recvfrom: Network is down
snort: Snort received signal 3, exiting
----

This went on for about 2-3 hours, then the network restarted.. Thought
this
was something with the network driver... Had not set my mind into
debugging mode yet..

But after your post erlier - I did the brilliant command "rpm -e
libpcap"
(v.0.6xx - the rpm shipped with RH72) - downloaded libpcap-0.7.1.tar.gz
and did the even more brilliant "make/make install" the error is
eliminated..

Thanks a lot! ;-)

Greets,
Kjetil Laasby.