Secure Coding mailing list archives

What is the size of this list?

From: ken at krvw.com (Kenneth Van Wyk)
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 07:06:59 -0400

On Aug 18, 2009, at 2:21 PM, Arian J. Evans wrote:
Jeremiah Grossman and I were both pondering the size of the SCL
recently.
Is the list size public?

It's not public per se, but only in the sense that the number isn't
directly available--unless you ask for it.

The list has pretty consistently hovered around 1000 subscribers since
pretty shortly after I launched it in late 2003.

I am curious why I don't see many new names on SC-L. Lots of lurkers?

We do seem to have a high percentage of lurkers, but I always like to
encourage newcomers as well as new active participants.  I do my best
to keep my moderating light, and I welcome all perspectives and
opinions on the topics we discuss here.

My primary moderating criteria are ensuring submissions are relevant
to the list charter and keep a civil tone.  Beyond that, everyone on
the list is largely free to say/discuss whatever suits.

Plain and simple: the list is what the members make of it.

btw// SCL has always been a great place for academic and
progressive-minded folks to talk about state of the art, and future
ideas for secure coding. I have always recommended it to developers
looking for new places to learn as a "best and brightest" haunt. So
thanks for running it guys,

Thanks.  I've consistently found over the years that efforts like this
are worth the effort in a myriad of ways, and it's something that I
gladly take on.

Cheers,

Ken

-----