Secure Coding mailing list archives

Where Does Secure Coding Belong In the Curriculum?

From: James.McGovern at thehartford.com (McGovern, James F (HTSC, IT))
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 10:17:56 -0400

We are NOT craftsmen by any stretch of the imagination. If you have ever
worked in a large enterprise, the ability to change roles and be fluid
in one's career is rewarding yet has unintended consequences.

If I went to my boss tomorrow and said that I no longer want to be an
architect and instead want some experience managing a project, what
training do you think I will be afforded before I actually get to
project manage a large initiative? For that matter I am an architect,
what training do you think I have received?

Much of my daily job is art where all of about ten minutes requires
craftsmanship. We need to stop being delusional and thinking that us IT
folks are bound by ANY principle. If you find a single principle taught
in a university setting that hasn't been waived in a corporate
environment at one time or another, I sure would love to know what that
is.

We are artists. End of discussion...