Secure Coding mailing list archives

Where Does Secure Coding Belong In the Curriculum?

From: James.McGovern at thehartford.com (McGovern, James F (HTSC, IT))
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 11:46:42 -0400

OK, do you really think the folks who pay our bills even understand the
difference between art and craftmanship? Imagine me building a house out
of 2x2 because I can save money on the 2x4s. If I can entertain (manage
perception) the clients such that they won't look (aka CIO) and can
distract the rogue inspector with some other finding (you always have to
let them find something) then I can frame your home and sheetrock it
before you even notice.

We are not craftsmen nor are customers willing to pay for it. For the
last 30 or so years, they have been taking our output regardless of
quality and using it. They are more happy with disclaimers and the
appearance of goodness than actual goodness. Enterprises might be
happier with a secure coding process that creates the appearance of
security than the actual heavy lifting of writing secure code. We live
in a world where everyone desires process to be a substitute for
competence.