Secure Coding mailing list archives

How is secure coding sold within enterprises?

From: gunnar at arctecgroup.net (Gunnar Peterson)
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 15:13:06 -0500

JD Meier had a good post recently on influencing without authority, which is the
position security finds itself in:

1. assume all potential allies
2. clarify goals and priorities
3. diagnose the allies world
4. identify relevant currencies
5. deal with relationships
6. influence through give and take

http://blogs.msdn.com/jmeier/archive/2007/03/09/influencing-without-authority.aspx

how does this translate to app security? well i think it means find
stakeholders/allies wherever you can. any group that is interested try to 1)
educate them about software risks and software security and 2) give them
tools/process they can bring to bear on the problem. specifically, legal teams
are generally very interested in risks, so i have seen several legal teams at
very large companies deploy parts of the OWASP legal project to good effect.
business analysts can be trained on how specify some security concerns in use
cases/user stories. qa teams can be educated on security specific testing tools
and techniques, architects can learn how to design reusable security services,
and so on. so whatever group that seems eager to get involved it makes sense to
engage, once security concerns are embedded in test plans and use cases, aligned
with business goals, the software security effort is not a one off from a
developer point of view.

find all allies, turn none away, arm them with knowledge, turn em loose.

the other issue is that there are many security services that you cannot expect
an app project to deliver on its own. skyscrapers should not have to have their
own fighter jets to protect against people flying planes into them, that is why
you have an air force. making the case for platform security can be hard, but
that is where the architects have to help (i seem to recall that security is a
nonfunctional requirement and that architects are supposed to own non
functional requirements). one of the reasons i like browser-based federated
identity is because you can externalize some authN code from the app, you get
stronger identity tokens across the wire, you don't have developers creating
their own authN code, and of course the users get SSO and SLO. this is like app
armor, in my view, a reference model for security services - improved security
mechanism, great usability, business value, and a simplified programming model.

-gp

Quoting "McGovern, James F (HTSC, IT)" <James.McGovern at thehartford.com>:

Thanks for the response. I already own the book and understand how to engage
vendors. Where I am seeking assistance is all the work that goes on within a
large enterprise before these two things occur. The ideal situation for me
would be to get my hands on the five to ten page Powerpoint slide deck that
others who have blazed this path before me have used to sell the notion to
their executives.