Secure Coding mailing list archives

How is secure coding sold within enterprises?

From: James.McGovern at thehartford.com (McGovern, James F (HTSC, IT))
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 09:47:19 -0400

John, thanks for the response and I think you have an understanding of the essence of the problem in that current books
don't cover the "selling" security aspects nor how things actually work in large corporations. One of the benefits to
me seeing someone's deck that went before me is that I get to see and understand not only salient points, but also how
they were presented in terms of order and emphasis. I of course could like most folks who are new to a space is to take
a first shot at it and mercilessly iterate but I do think it is wise to figure out ways to leverage the work of my
peers in other enterprises (of course I can return the favor on other initiatives) and only iterate based on local
custom and not broader themes.

In terms of job grade, no I am not an EVP nor am I a developer. I someone higher on the foodchain than most in that my
responsibilities include strategic direction. Likewise, the issue in terms of selling is really about budget, but it is
about first buy-in of all participants throughout the enterprise and secondly the ability to make the case once we
collectively conclude that we need consulting assistance, the ability to go off preferred vendor list and make the
right choice.

Based on your comment, in your opinion, I would love to know which analysts should I quote and if you know of specific
gems? In terms of keeping up with the Joneses, part of this requires the ability to understand what others are up to.
From what I can tell from this list, I have only seen replies from two Fortune enterprises where the vast majority of
other folks either have some government connection and/or employed by software vendors/consulting firms. One of my
concerns with why ideas sometimes don't fly is not do to validity but the perception that if one waits it out, things
will get better and more efficiency in terms of spend will emerge. In other words, one perception may be that focusing
on secure coding is too early (Yes, the current description of why it is important is valid but it doesn't address the
early concern)

Got any URLs to any good architectural checklists? I have only ran across code-oriented ones.

Anyone seen any good pictorial representations of roadmaps in this space?