Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Your opinion about online courses

From: Jon Kibler <Jon.Kibler () aset com>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 16:56:15 -0400

Alex Fiuvertiz wrote:
EHLO,

What are your opinions about the online/on demand courses that are
offered by Offensive Security, SANS, etc?
I realize that it demands some kind of self-discipline when it comes
to dedicate time and so on, but besides that, is it just a waste of
money?
Is it better to spend the money on books and the time on reading and nmap -iR ?

I also realize that a course led by an instructor gives you much more,
but this question is about the online courses.

Thank you for your reply

No experience with SANS online. Instructor lead courses are generally great.

Offensive Security's online courses are fantastic, especially if you have basic
knowledge in the course area. I am currently working through the "beggarware /
donate to HFC" version of the Metasploit Unleashed course.
        http://www.offensive-security.com/metasploit-unleashed/

I have been using metasploit for several years, and I am amazed at how much I
did not know that I am picking up in the course. The instructions are excellent,
and even if you are not a metasploit user, there is little that you cannot
figure out on your own from the instructions.

THAT SAID, this is the "free" version of the course. Once MSF 3.3 goes from dev
to released, the course will be updated and will only be available for $250
(last price I heard), and that version will include PDF documentation and
videos, plus some online support through IRC.

Once I finish with the metasploit course, I plan to work on the OSCP
certification through the online course. I have no hesitation about recommending
the OffSec courses. Also, I will add that this year at BlackHat, I took the
OffSec "Pen Testing w/ BT4" course, and it was awesome.

The only "complaint" that I have every heard anyone say about any OffSec course
is that they make you THINK HARD and SWEAT THE DETAILS! This is consistent with
their two mottoes:
        http://www.offensive-security.com/images/zone.jpg
        http://www.offensive-security.com/tryharder.php

I hope this helps!

Jon Kibler
- --
Jon R. Kibler
Chief Technical Officer
Advanced Systems Engineering Technology, Inc.
Charleston, SC  USA
o: 843-849-8214
c: 843-813-2924
s: 843-564-4224
s: JonRKibler
e: Jon.Kibler () aset com
e: Jon.R.Kibler () gmail com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/jonrkibler

My PGP Fingerprint is:
BAA2 1F2C 5543 5D25 4636 A392 515C 5045 CF39 4253