Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Your opinion about online courses

From: emilam () coretechsg com
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 12:49:24 -0700

The overall answer is you get out of them what you put into them. But that goes for anything.

I can speak to the Offensive Security Course. I love them, they teach you a lot and you are truly challenged. One thing to remember is they are self study. So you may not always get the help you are looking for.

Instructor courses are over rated sometimes. I took a C|EH course and I felt I had waste $3k that I could've done on my own. But I wanted the certification ASAP.

If you spend 1-2 hours per day for 3-4 months, you will not only know enough to pass a certification exam, but you will honestly know your topic. Which of course is way better than a piece of paper.

Best of luck

Quoting Alex Fiuvertiz <fiuvertiz () gmail com>:

EHLO,

What are your opinions about the online/on demand courses that are
offered by Offensive Security, SANS, etc?
I realize that it demands some kind of self-discipline when it comes
to dedicate time and so on, but besides that, is it just a waste of
money?
Is it better to spend the money on books and the time on reading and nmap -iR ?

I also realize that a course led by an instructor gives you much more,
but this question is about the online courses.

Thank you for your reply

/ A.F

Prove to peers and potential employers without a doubt that you can actually do a proper penetration test. IACRB CPT and CEPT certs require a full practical examination in order to become certified.

http://www.iacertification.org