Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] Network Mapping (was Re: [PEN-TEST] How to "break into" the Pen-Testing field)

From: "Teicher, Mark" <mark.teicher () NETWORKICE COM>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 10:53:07 -0700

Carric,

The numeric code in the database if properly identified by Visio Auto
Discovery is the sysOid. The AutoDiscovery engine is based on SNMP network
discovery, and other variants..

Actually if one plays with the scanning (there are internal parameters that
aren't documented) parameters one can limit the scope of the scan for a
very large network, Basically you have run multiple discoverys to get a
complete picture

The same issue exists when using HP OpenView Auto Discovery, but there are
some people on the list who have found a workaround to make the Discovery
process faster

/mark