PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: Domain Registration and Trademark

From: James Thomas <jim () nimblesec com>
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2013 15:07:50 -0500

Hi all,

I've been with DH since 2004 and somehow missed out on all the outages
and backup catastrophes.  My one (mostly unjustified) complaint is that
I was forced to buy a VPS because I was using a php proxy script to work
around my lack of a wildcard SSL cert, so they started blocking the
outgoing proxy connections.

They resell Comodo certs for $15, but the dedicated IP that is required
for it is $44/yr.

Everything turned out better than expected, after turning off all their
management functions and compiling nginx and apc and whatnot.  I haven't
had any issues since, but they'll try to sell you memory upgrades by
configuring php weirdly, and trying not to support anything but Apache.

For trademarks, I highly recommend LegalZoom.com, they deserve their
moniker.  They offer a free trial of a lawyer consulting service to
discuss any potential collisions prior to dropping the fees on the USPTO.

James